I’m Joel Walters, a web developer living in Seattle, WA.
A recent transplant to the Pacific Northwest, I lived most of my life in Charlotte, NC, and graduated from UNCC with a degree in Computer Science.
I have a strong passion for designing and developing for the web. I’m excited about providing great user experiences across the plethora of web-connected devices.
Some of my hobbies include running, cycling, hiking, billiards, photography, and soapmaking. Running is very addictive, I’ve found.
Find Me On…
Skills and Interests
- Semantic, accessible, standards compliant HTML markup
- Multi-device testing (cross-browser compatibility)
- Progressive enhancement and graceful degradation
- Front-end performance; resource optimization
- Content first; mobile first
- Progressive disclosure
- Webfonts (icons)
- CSS Preprocessing (Sass)
- Grunt (build tool; automation)
- Drush (Drupal shell tool)
- WCAG 2.0 (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines)
- Drupal/jQuery modules/plugins (reusability)
- Open Source contributions (GitHub, drupal.org)
- Source code editors: TextMate, Sublime Text
- Frameworks/Libraries: jQuery, Drupal 6/7, Sass, Bootstrap
- Tools: terminal, git, Google Chrome developer tools
- Systems: OS X, Linux and Unix-like OS, some Windows (IE testing)
- Issue/task tracking tool (Asana, Trello, Bitbucket/GitHub)
- Version control with issue linking
- Development, Staging, and Production environments for QA
- Automation of repetitive tasks
You can email me. I will try to respond within 24 hours.
About This Site
This site is powered by Octopress (a static site generator using Jekyll). It was powered by Drupal, but that was overkill for a blog. :)